If you have resources that you think would be useful to others, please send them to us.
Ideas for activities
The theme, What does it mean to be a Quaker today? Living into a faithful life in a changing world.
Join Friends for online worship in each of the four FWCC sections, and meet in your local meetings and churches to explore what it means to be a Quaker today, living into a faithful life in a changing world.
A Video Series on the Various Quaker Worship Styles
In the short video series below, Gretchen Castle, General Secretary of FWCC, was joined by Friends from the four FWCC sections (Europe and Middle East Section, Section of the Americas, Asia West Pacific Section, and the Africa Section) to talk about our different ways of worship within and across the four sections.
Friends responded to the following questions in order to explore the varying worship styles across the branches:
- Video 1: What kinds of worship might we expect from Friends within your FWCC section? And is there a predominant form of worship?
- Video 2: How has the cultural context of Friends influenced Quaker worship in your FWCC section?
- Video 3: What do you appreciate about our different ways of worship? And how has your experience expanded your sense of there being many ways to God among Quakers?
What the full video series on the FWCC website.
A Video Series on with the FWCC Section Secretaries reflecting on how COVID-19 has effected Friends.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, we have all been affected in a variety of ways. Part of the role of FWCC is to share stories from Friends across the branches and around the world to cross our cultures and connect our lives, through our shared Quaker faith.
We spoke to the four FWCC Section Secretaries (and one clerk who stood in for the section secretary) to ask them to reflect on how COVID-19 has affecting and will affect their Quaker communities around the word. We asked them three questions:
- What change have you noticed among your section during COVID?
- What has moved you during this time?
- What are you hoping the section will take forward?
Share What Being a Quaker Means to You
Download Print out a WQD sign (PDF), take a photo and share on your words social media
This year, along with the theme of ‘what does it mean to be a Quaker today?’, we are encouraging you to print the 2020 WQD sign (PDF), take a photo, so we can learn what being a Quaker means to you.
Our vision is for Friends to have access to a montage of these iamges of all sorts via FWCC’s websites and the FWCC World Office Facebook page.
An example would be:
EMES is inviting Friends to worship
- Sunday, October 4, 2020, 13:00 London, (14.00 CEST or 15.00 EEST)
- The EMES WQD worship Zoom link.
- Meeting ID: 924 0324 2707. Passcode: EMES
- Find out more on EMES’ website.
SOA is inviting Friends to an online meeting
- Sunday, October 4th, 1pm Pacific, 2pm Mountain, 3pm Central, 4pm Eastern time (daylight savings time)
- Basic plan: semi-programmed, bilingual in English and Spanish.
- Register online: https://conta.cc/3b1Dhxx
- Or watch it streamed live on facebook live: https://www.facebook.com/
The Africa Section is inviting Friends to Online Worship:
- Topic World Quaker Day Worship Africa
- Time: Sun, Oct 4, 2020, 01:00 PM Nairobi, 11am BST, 12 pm CEST.
- Join Zoom Meeting https://us02web.zoom.us/j/
4934311103?pwd= K0I4VWFMa05VTVhzTTcwMXdUMnJjdz 09
- Meeting ID: 493 431 1103 Passcode: 190220
AWPS World Quaker Day updates:
- On October 4, we are offering AWPS Friends an opportunity to gather online and the QUNO Geneva staff have agreed to join our online gathering. Jonathan Woolley and Lindsey Fielder-Cook will meet with us on this day. This will be at 11.30 India time – registration details will be available shortly.
You can also check the FWCC World Office online worship page for more worship opportunities.
- A video resource provided by the FWCC Section of the Americas.
- Resources for using How many Quakers are There in the World? video
Other films and online resources
- A Variety of Quaker Experiences from Around the World video
- FWCC map “Finding Quakers Around the World
Other ideas for activities:
FWCC Offering or Collection
Have a meal or other event to raise funds for FWCC. Have discussion queries on the tables with resources such as the FWCC map “Finding Quakers Around the World”: Point out where Friends are located and find some answers to questions like these:
- Which country has the most Quakers? Which country has the fewest Quakers?
- Which are the largest and smallest yearly meetings?
- What kinds of worship do Friends have around the world?
- Do you know what an Evangelical Friend believes? A Conservative Friend? A Convergent Friend? A Liberal Friend?
- How are programmed and unprogrammed Friends alike and different?
- Which form of worship worldwide has more members and attenders — programmed or unprogrammed?
- What do Friends around the world have in common?
Here is a description of the work of FWCC to be shared with your meeting or church:
Answering God’s call to universal love, Friends World Committee for Consultation (FWCC) brings Friends of varying traditions and cultural experiences together in worship, communications, and consultation, to express our common heritage and our Quaker message to the world (mission statement). Through various means, FWCC is connecting Friends, crossing cultures, and changing lives across our many differences and within our spiritual unity. FWCC provides a Quaker voice at the world level through its global ecumenical participation and its worldwide representation on the Quaker United Nations Committees in New York and Geneva. FWCC works both vertically serving Friends at the world level and horizontally, supporting Friends through the four Section offices. FWCC connects us as Friends in our work, in our worship, and in our lives.
Please give generously to support this important Quaker work. Many thanks!
Send your contribution to the World or your Section office, or donate online.
Thank you for participating in World Quaker Day!